|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Fishermen and Lighthouses)
Dungeness is one of the most remote of the villages on the Romney Marsh
sitting as it does on the corner of the marsh. It has a unique stark
beauty with the fishermen's small homes contrasting with the enormous
bulk of the Nuclear Power Stations.
By the 1400's the area at Dengeness had stabilised into a shingle bank,
before that it was shoals and fast currents. Fishermen settled here and
eeked out their livelyhoods by providing food for the other members of
the Cinque Ports, Dengemarsh was one of the affiliates to the Cinque Ports .
The village has been the location of a light, warning of the shoals and fast
currents around the point throughout the centuries. The first lighthouse
was built in 1613, the land built up and the sea retreated so a second one
was built in 1635. Another was built in 1792 as the land again expanded the
current 'Old Lighthouse' was started in 1901 it stands 143 ft high and is
open to visitors. The latest lighthouse was built another 1/2 miles further
out into the English Channel it was opened in 1963 and is fully automatic
In the late 1800's the Southern Railway built a station to transport shingle
extracted from the beach to use as ballast for their lines over the region.
You can still see signs of the old railway as a number of local cottages
have been constucted from old carriages. Most of the houses here are owned
and lived in by fishermen, their boats lie on the beach.
On the 16th July 1927, the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway (RHDR) a narrow gauge railway
was opened, the stop at Dungeness was opened 1928, and for a short while
until it was opened the trains stopped at Pilot Halt which was demolished in 1968.
The railway was built by Captain J. E. P. Howey and Count Louis Zborowski to
serve the local population and tourist trade, it stretches for nearly 14 miles
from Hythe through Dymchurch , St Marys Bay ,its base at New Romney ,Romney Sands
and then to the fishermens cottages and lighthouses at Dungeness . It is still
a major tourist attraction and well worth a visit.
(Click here for the Official RHDR site)
The Dungeness A and B power stations were built in the 1960's and you can go
to the visitor Centre which shows the plant and area, and even provides
Dungeness has its own Nature Reserve which acts as a haven for rare birds and
| The village has few services, the nearest shops are along the
coast at Greatstone , and the nearest major shops are at Ashford
about 20 miles north east.
Trains can be caught at Appledore about 10 miles to the north.