The area was won from the sea (inned) sometime between 1200 and 1270.
The monks from Canterbury built dykes to the western edge of the Rhee Wall
(the sea defenses built by the Romans) and enclosed the land so reclaiming
the rich and fertile soil from the sea.
1287 saw the great storm in which Broomhill was swept away and New Romney
barely survived. The Rother changed its course to the sea, and exited the
marshes at Rye, whereas before the storm the river found its way to the
sea near to modern day Greatstone and Littlestone .
Fayrefelde existed before 1595 as a map of the time shows the village
approximately where the church now sits. It is likely that as the land
became more reclaimed so the village sprung up.
Nowadays all that can be seen is the church lying down from the road
embankment which is probably the original inning wall. The church was built
as a temporary structure of timber lath and plaster in the 1200's to support
the local farming community. The exterior has been strengthened with brick,
and in 1913 the whole building was reconstructed and encased to preserve it.
St Thomas a Beckett at Fairfield is one of those churches supported by the
Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust .
The church of St Thomas a Beckett holds services at 10am on the first
Sunday of every month, further details can be obtained from the
There are no services at Fairfield , but about 2 miles away lies Appledore
with its tea shops and other attractions.
The nearest trains to the area stop at Appledore station which is about
4 miles away.
Fairfield church is very pretty lying alone in a field surrounded by sheep.
The views across the deserted ex marshland are very pretty.
Fairfield is derived from the Medieval fair and field (Field in which the market