|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(Lower the tower by twenty feet)
Sevenoaks Weald is a fairly modern village, although farming has been
carried out throughout the ages.
A chapel was completed in 1821 where the current church of St George
is located, only 3 years after the First Church Building Act was
passed in parliament. This was intended to provide churches for the
increasing population created by the industrialisation of the country
and its increasing wealth.
The chapel had the addition of a tower made during the late 1930's,
this was reduced in height by 20ft and strengthened in 1896 as the
method of construction and materials used during its initial construction
were very poor.
The mid 1800's brought the railway, and the construction of the Sevenoaks
tunnel, which provided local employment and loss of life. This in turn made
Sevenoaks a major centre of population, and attracted workers from around
the area such as Sevenoaks Weald .
When Harold Nicholson and Vita Sackville-West ( famed for the gardens at
Sissinghurst )were married they lived at Long Barn in the village.
Nowadays the majority of the village population are commuters, working
either in Sevenoaks, or more likely in the Financial centre of the
City of London .
| Sevenoaks Weald is a quiet village with a few local services.
The main shopping centre is at Sevenoaks about 3 miles north.
Sevenoaks is also the main centre for public transport in the area,
with a regular train service into London, and to the coast at Dover
and Hastings. It is also a centre for the local bus services.
| Sevenoaks Weald is build just below the steep hills that separate
the flat farmland to the south and the Sevenoaks valley.
The village green is very attractive with many 19th century houses