|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
(The Scott Family)
Smeeth is a small village lying along the A20 between Ashford and
Sellindge . The name is derived from the Anglo Saxon meaning a smooth
clearing in the wood.
The church was started by the Normans, as can be seen by parts of the
The village is closely tied with the Scott family who had a manor house
between Smeeth and Sellindge which was lost some time after 1600. The family
was started by John Balliol, who founded Balliol College , and had many
famous members including Sir William Scott who was Knight Marshal of England
Nowadays the village is small and closely tied to Brabourne .
| Smeeth has no services, except for one public house.
The nearest main town is Ashford , about 4 miles north west, which
provides a major shopping centre, supermarkets and the main line
station to London , Paris and Brussels .
| Smeeth lies on a hill facing towards the south. The church is pretty
and the views across the fields opposite are fine when the crops
are ready to harvest.