The name was originally Siwold's Circa meaning the burial ground on
the wooded(Wold) island(Ie) but the later christians changed
the name to remove its pagan history. A Ciric or Circa is a circular
Celtic burial ground raised above ground level, to keep the dead dry.
The circular form is believed to be the celtic symbol of immortality.
The current church was started about 1133 AD and was built by the
Normans on top of an old wooden Saxon church.
The local smugglers used the church for storing smuggled goods as
were most of the others on Romney Marsh .
The churchyard holds the grave of E(dith) Nesbit the author of the
'Railway Children' who lived in Friston further along the coast in
the south downs.