|Our Whats On|
Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
On this Page
Stone in Oxney
(Roman stone altar)
11 miles south east of Tenterden, off the B2082, Stone In Oxney stands
in an imposing position on the eastern side of the Isle of Oxney. The
stone that gives the village its name is preserved in the village
church, and is Roman in origin.
The church of St Mary is 15th century, an elegant building which stands
on rising ground. It features a 14 ft square tower, which stands 62 ft
high. Magnificent views over the surrounding countryside may be seen
from the top of the tower.
The oldest part of the church is the South Chapel, here may be found
the sealed up entrance to the staircase which used to lead to the
The font stands at the western end of the nave, octagonal in shape,
with no ornamentation, it is a picture of elegant simplicity.
For many years the north chapel was used as the parish school. The
south chapel houses the organ a two manual instrument in an oak case.
this organ was formerly used by the parish church of Brede , and was
aquired for Stone in 1908.
The most interesting posession of the church is the aforementioned
Roman Stone. Standing under the tower, near the west door, it serves
as an altar. It is 2ft long by 1ft 10ins, and stands 3ft 4ins high.
The top is hollowed out as a basin, and the figure of a bull stands
in relief on all four sides. Geological experts say it is made of
Kentish ragstone, quarried aat Hythe. The altar may have originally
come from Stutfall Castle, the Roman fort at Lympne, near Hythe.
To the south west of the church stands a picturesque 15th century
building called 'Tilmanden'. For many generations this served as
the vicarage, and was probably built for this purpose. However a
new vicarage of red brick was erected on the other side of the
road, this date is not recorded. This building burned down several
years before the Reverend H.P.Eldridge became the incumbent in 1862,
and the present vicarage was built soon after.
| Stone In Oxney is a very small village with few local services.
The nearest shopping centres are in Tenterden to the north and Rye to the
| The area around the church is very pretty, with the churchyard and the
old house of Tilmanden.
Over the road from the church is another National Trust area, which overlooks
the Romney Marsh .